Tuesday, August 13, 2013


“Life is sometimes sad and often dull, but there are currants in the cake, and here is one of them.”
Nancy Mitford

Okay, so it’s been a few weeks and there are reasons for it, but none substantial enough to babble on about. So let’s skip the excuses and move on.  When I first saw the name Nancy Mitford on a plaque in London, it kick started my own private investigation into her family’s background.

The plaque on the bookshop where she worked in Curzon Street.
Nancy was born in 1904 and is the eldest of the infamous Mitford sisters.  This family have intimate ties with nobility, communism and the Nazi Party and although I find them all intriguing, I’m going to try my hardest to concentrate on the Nancy herself.

Mitford was born in Belgravia London, but was brought up at Asthall Manor in Oxfordshire. Educated at home, she spent a lot of time with her sisters and relied on them for conversation. This woman from a young age; never took anything seriously and her light heartedness must have been a breath of fresh air compared with the political views of some of her sisters.

In 1929, Mitford began writing for a magazine and her first novel – Highland Fling, was published in 1931. She continued to write and in 1946, Nancy Mitford had a book by the name of The Pursuit of Love published.  The novel was so popular that it gave her financial independence for the first time in her life.

My second hand copy of The Pursuit of Love
Mitford’s novels were highly autobiographical and if you have the opportunity to read letters and books written by other family members, you can tie reality to fiction with certain words that only they used.

The Pursuit of Love is the first of a trilogy and the central character Linda, who is slightly highly strung, is always looking for love. Sadly, I’m not going to tell you the outcome and on a sadder note, I have not read the sequels to this story, but I do have time on my side. If you haven’t had the change to indulge, please do so because although there is tragedy in the book, it’s quite funny.

Nancy Mitford
Throughout her life, Mitford was a member of The Bright Young Things and formed solid relationships with other members.  There was of course the falling in love with at least three men that I know of and her marriage to Peter Rodd which ended in 1958. Nancy hid her feelings behind jokes and laughter and was always the centre of attention in any type of gathering.

Nancy Mitford lost her battle with Hodgkin’s disease in 1973 and her ashes are buried at St Mary’s in Swinbrook along with other family members.  I haven’t had the chance to visit her grave, but my hunt of the infamous Mitfords doesn’t end here. There are other writers in the family and just as Linda Radlett pursued love Once upon a time in England, the pursuit of my love of literature will continue as long as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment