Sunday, January 13, 2013


Underground, Overground, Wombling Free….

Elisabeth Beresford

The other night I sat flipping through my sacred blog book wondering who I could bring to the blogger sphere this week.  I asked my son Warren if he had any requests and he reminded me of some characters that I loved when I was a kid.  I thought about the suggestion and started my journey into the life of Elisabeth Beresford.
Born in Paris in 1926, Elisabeth was the daughter of J D Beresford the English writer. She struggled as a journalist until an idea came to her when she was visiting Wimbledon Common with her family. Her daughter mispronounced Wimbledon as Wombledon. That very moment led to the creation of those amazing characters with the cute pointy faces and the outrageous outfits known as the Wombles. Of course she had other books, but The Wombles are the more well known of her works.
Toy Orinoco in the rangers office at Wimbledon Common

The first Womble book was published in 1968 and there are more than 20 in the collection. The characters were based on Elisabeth’s family members and the exquisite names are taken from obscure places, such as towns and colleges they had visited or attended. The Wombles are recyclers and their motto is ‘Make good use of bad rubbish.’ After the first book was broadcast on the British television show Jackanory, the BBC thought that an animated series might be worth a shot and they were right.  Children everywhere were able to enjoy the antics of the furry characters and who could forget the theme song.
Windmill Museum Wimbledon Common
So as London prepared for the first snowfall of 2013, I put on my coat – and an extra pair of socks, embraced winter and set off in search of the lovable recyclers. I’ve read somewhere that some of them enjoy playing in the snow, and having those lush fur coats, I figured that Wombles would be slightly more equipped for the outdoors than me and that I might just see Tobermory picking up things that had been left behind by everyday folk. I walked all over Wimbledon Common but there was not a Womble to be seen. There was a camera shy rabbit who was adamant he wouldn’t be photographed, and a German Shepherd with a punctured football in his mouth, but definitely no Wombles. I can’t say that I was disappointed though because it is a beautiful common and I did get some nice pics to share with you. Incidentally, it’s quite muddy this time of year so if you’re planning a visit in the winter, wellingtons are a more preferable choice of footwear.

Wimbledon common
Elisabeth Beresford was awarded an MBE for her efforts and I understand that the Queen herself is a bit of a Wombles fan. I for one enjoy their antics and take pleasure in telling you that Once upon a time in Wimbledon, a mispronounced word brought to life an underground culture which invaded children’s lives everywhere. So if you’re ever on Wimbledon Common, keep your eyes peeled because you might just see a Womble.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment