Saturday, December 22, 2012


Luke 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.

The Holy Bible


When I was thinking about my first Christmas blog, I researched a lot of Christmas stories. I’m not particularly religious and if there is a saviour as written in The Bible, then I’m probably going to hell, but I’m not above admitting that this book has been a big part of my life. 
I lived in Somerset when I was a little girl and went to Sunday school every week at the wish of my mother. My family left for Australia when I was five years old and when we left England the Church gave me a little white Bible which I still have.
In the front of the Bible the following is written;

Dec 22nd 1968

To Sandra from the Newtown Methodist Sunday School with God’s blessing and our Good Wishes for your future.

Paulton Somerset England
The inscription in the front on my Bible

I have to admit right now that I’ve never read this book from cover to cover but out of all of my books, this is one that I’ve had for the longest time.  I took it half way around the world with me on a journey and bought it back to the UK 42 years later. It’s sometimes strange how things turn out.
The slightly grubby cover

As I flick through my Bible, I notice the dog eared pages and the musty smell. The pages were gilded around the edges, but a lot of that has come off and the once pristine white cover is kind of grubby. There was a cord bookmark attached but now the end is missing and it just reaches the bottom of the pages. My Bible is the King James Version and I know that there are a lot of different kinds out there, but I believe that this is one of the more popular, as far as Bibles go.  For me it’s one of those books that just sit on the shelf forgotten and only gets moved when I do the occasional dusting or move house.

To say that I’m slightly sentimental would be an understatement and when I hold this book in my hands, I remember my mother and each family Christmas of the past.  It takes me back to when my children were little and even further back to when I was a little girl myself and reminds me of the true spirit of Christmas. I love singing Christmas carols and when I walk along Oxford Street in the evenings, I get kind of dreamy when I see the Christmas lights. It’s the same kind of feeling I get when I think of how I’ve hung on to my Bible for so long. Like I said at the beginning of this post, I’m not particularly religious, but I do love my books and The Bible is a book.

I could have blogged about a story with Father Christmas or reindeers in, but since it’s my first Christmas blog, I figured it only fitting to write about the book that includes the story of the first Christmas. Whether you believe it or not, I’d also like to say that Once upon a time in Bethlehem, a child was born whose birthday would become one of the most celebrated days of modern times. So Merry Christmas to all who read this and *Thanks be to God for his unspeakable gift.

*Corinthians 9:15

 

No comments:

Post a Comment