Saturday, November 24, 2012


“Winning is a state of mind that embraces everything you do.”
Bryce Courtenay

This week I had planned to introduce you to an English poet renowned for one of the most popular nursery rhymes in history, but sadly, I learned the news on Friday that Bryce Courtenay had passed away.  So this week’s blog is a tribute to the legend responsible for The Power of One. 
Bryce was born on the 14th of August 1933 in Johannesburg. After studying in London, he moved to Australia with his future wife and they married in 1959 making their home in Sydney.  As a journalist, Courtenay had many successful ad campaigns, but it was his books that drew me to him. 
When I first read The Power of One, I didn’t think it would be the type of story that I would enjoy, but I was wrong and I found that it was the kind of book that you tell your friends to read.  I guess though, my favourite Courtenay novel is April Fool’s Day.  I received this book as a gift in a work Kris Kringle one year and as I read the book, I found it harder and harder to put it down. The story is about Damon Courtenay and his struggle with AIDS which he contracted through a blood transfusion.  It’s difficult to imagine the pain that the family went through during that time and it was probably just as difficult to put into words. As I read page after page of revealing text, I imagined the heart ache for the Courtenays as they faced the day to day challenges of the situation.  It’s a must if you like biographies, and who better to write one than a member of the family.
My favourite of his books
 
As I think of the work that Bryce Courtenay was responsible for, I am reminded of the books that were made into movies and although I prefer the book, I sometimes like to sit through a movie adaption to see if it measures up.  I did this with The Power of One and it wasn’t a disappointment. The lifestyle and situations in Courtenay’s novels seem as real as the pages they’re written on and I’m sure I’m not alone in shedding a tear or two whilst bidding farewell to such a profound writer.
The passing of Bryce Courtenay is a blow to the world of literature, but his work will keep him in our lives forever and so I end this tribute by saying that Once upon a time in Canberra, we lost the man who told us that, ‘when men can be made to hope, they can be made to win.’

Rest In Peace Bryce Courtenay 1933-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment