Monday, October 1, 2012


The Kindest Thoughts…..

Recently as my birthday approached, I made a list of books for my son Warren and Robbie (who is my cousin’s son but is like one of my own), so that they could choose one or two for me. Because, as we all know, it’s sometimes difficult to know what to give as a birthday gift. Whilst this was happening in London, it never occurred to me that on the other side of the world in Collins Street Melbourne my eldest son Brendan was visiting Kay Craddock Antiquarian Bookseller, seeking out a first edition for me.  The coveted prize was carefully packed into my sister Pauline’s suitcase and delivered to me on the morning of my birthday.

When I opened the gift, I could imagine Brendan standing in the antique book store explaining the type of person I am and exactly what I do with my spare time which of course, as you know, is stalk dead writers.

Immediately after opening the present, I sent a text to Brendan thanking him and then went on to leaf through the pages of my very first, first edition. The book is illustrated throughout in colour and black & white and the boards are a trifle sprung.  The edges of the dust jacket are lightly rubbed and split and the outer leaves and edges slightly foxed. It was published in London in 1974. I know all this because tucked into the dust jacket’s plastic cover is a description of the book. 
The first edition from my son Brendan

Cobwebs to catch Flies is a book about illustrated books that were used to help educated children from 1700-1900, but not text books, more the type you would buy to home school your child. The compilation has been put together by Joyce Irene Whalley and when you open the book, the musty smell of knowledge wafts up.
Just three of the many that Warren & Robbie bought me

The stack of books that I received from Warren and Robbie will keep me occupied for quite some time.  They include works from Robert Louis Stevenson, George Eliot and Jane Austen. When I put together the list, I didn’t expect to get eight books and I kind of felt like the luckiest person in the world on Saturday morning when Warren handed me one after the other. There were also chocolates included in the booty and Warren’s girlfriend Aleks bought me a bottle of Tequila and some Ferrero chocolates as well. Needless to say, we had Margaritas that night and drank the whole bottle.

To top off this particular birthday, my sister is taking me to the Jane Austen Centre and I just can’t wait.  The trip is planned for the end of the month so you can expect to see some pics from the expedition. But as I wait feverishly in anticipation for the excursion I have my first edition and a stack of classics to remind me that Once upon a time in September 2012, the kindest thoughts produced one of the best birthdays I’ve ever had.

www.kaycraddock.com

2 comments: