Sunday, June 24, 2012


And hand in hand on the edge of the sand, they danced by the light of the moon 
 Edward Lear

Everybody likes a little bit of nonsense every now and then, don’t they?  I for one love to escape from the normality of everyday life and when it comes in the form of a book, it’s even better.  This week I’d like to introduce an artist who was known for nonsense. So without further ado, please make welcome, Edward Lear.

Born in Holloway in 1812, Edward was the 20th of 21 children and the youngest to survive. He was raised by his sister Ann who was 21 years older than Edward and when he was four, they left the family home and were forced to set up house alone due to the family's failing fortune.

Edward suffered ill health in the combination of bronchitis, asthma and epilepsy, and later in life partial blindness. He felt guilt and shame from his epileptic seizures, but Edward always sensed the onset of them and was able to move out of public places - as in his time, seizures were believed to be associated with demonic possession.
Lear liked to travel and he also painted, but to me he is more known for his nonsense.  I enjoy limericks and I’m happy to report that none of his mention Nantucket. My favourite Lear work is not a limerick but a rhyming story called, ‘The Owl and the Pussycat’.  The poem is classic Lear nonsense with mention of a piggy-wig in the land of Bong-trees and a runcible spoon. It conjures up images that make me smile.

Edward Lear is buried in Foce Cemetery in San Remo, Italy. The centenary of his death in 1988 was marked with a set of Royal Mail stamps and this year when he would have been 200 years old if he had lived that long, Google honoured the date with a depiction of the Owl and the Pussycat dancing.

Edward Lear’s limericks continue to inspire people to write in that fashion, which inspires me to tell you that,
Once upon a time very near
Lived a writer who brought us good cheer
When they asked, “who is he?”
He replied, “can’t you see?”
The nonsensical Edward Lear.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Sandra. I have to say the only Edward Lear I know is the Owl and the Pussycat. My Grandpa who passed away recently loved that rhyme - so I will always associate Lear with him. Maybe I should read up on his other nonsense poems! I love all the random authors you are reminding me of with your blog! x

    ReplyDelete